Emba

EMBA
The village of Emba is one of the biggest villages in the area. It is spread over a wide area not only bordering Paphos but also the villages of Chloraka, Kissonerga, Tala, Tremithousa and Mesogi.
According to the tradition Emba got its name in the following way. At the entrance to the village near the border with Paphos there was a farm estate gate with a sentry. For someone to gain access to the farm they had to give his permission. He would do this by saying "EMBA" (Enter).

The village already existed by the Byzantine era and it is known from the Frankish rule with the same name. The Cypriot historian Leontios Machairas, (15th century) in his Chronicle, par. 129, denotes a visit of king of Cyprus Peter I (1359 - 1369) quoting "...and the king went hunting and reached Emba towards Paphos...".

Louis de Mas Latrie includes the village amongst those that belonged, during Frankish rule, to the family of the king of Cyprus, and moreover, as one of the kings villages that cultivated sugarcanes. Since 1468 the village, alongside with many others, fell under the region of Chrysochous, under the regional law officer (bailIiage).

Enhancing the village square, there is a 12th century church Panayia Chryseleoussa (the Virgin Mary, the Mother of Christ). It is built in Byzantine style and its interior walls are decorated with frescoes, some of which are of outstanding historical and religious interest.
Thousands of tourists visit the church each year to admire its architecture and the wonders it contains.

The other chapels of Emba now in ruins are the following: The Chapel of Saint Eleftherios,the Chapel of All Saints (Ayioi Pantes), the Chapel of Timios Prodromos, the Chapel of Saint Sofronios, the Chapel of Saint Mercurios, the Chapel of the Five Saints (Ayioi Pente: Efstratios, Afxentios, Evgenios, Mardarios, Orestis), the Chapel of Saint Paraskevi and the Cave of Saint Kournoutas at Pertidia.

Recently a new church was constructed near the old one,dedicated to the apostle Andreas (St. Andrew) and on his name day, 30th November, a religious festival is held on the church grounds. Apart from this very new church there are also many small chapels scattered around the rest of the village.
Emba has a few shops and tavernas dotted along the narrow winding road that runs through the village. In the evening the local men can be seen sitting outside their local kafeneos playing the traditional game of Tavli, often spilling out onto the narrow roads on their wooden chairs

For details of properties for sale in Emba click on the link below

http://www.elysianfieldsproperties.com/properties/search/?status=sale&status=sale&category=0&bedrooms=0&locationid=68&type=0&price=0&reference=

© Copyright 2017 | Web design in Cyprus by United Worx Ltd